For more than 40 years, NAFIS has been the voice of the Impact Aid community before Congress and the Administration.
Recognizing the unique challenges that school districts face due to the presence of non-taxable Federal land—including Indian Trust and Treaty lands, military installations and other Federal buildings and property—NAFIS advocates to ensure the Federal government meets its obligation to these districts and provides the funds needed to offer their students a quality education.
Your Voice on Capitol Hill
- A full-time staff dedicated to protecting and increasing Impact Aid funding
- Recognized by policymakers as the authority on Impact Aid
- Ensuring the Impact Aid community’s voice is heard throughout the policymaking process
- Leading efforts to update Impact Aid legislation and regulations to meet the changing needs of federally impacted school districts
Your Source for Impact Aid Information and Technical Assistance
NAFIS membership benefits include:
- Weekly and quarterly newsletters providing up-to-date information about Impact Aid funding, policy, regulatory changes, payments and more
- An annual database of Impact Aid school district payments
- Assistance navigating the Impact Aid program to ensure your school district receives all of the funding it deserves
- A direct link to the U.S. Department of Education, helping get you the support and answers you need
- Access to the Federally Impacted Schools Educational Foundation (FISEF), which includes opportunities to participate in technical assistance workshops and apply for annual grants
Your Professional Network!
- Serves as a national network of school district leaders to share successes, compare challenges and implement solutions
- Offers two national conference per year in the nation’s capital to learn from policy experts, meet with U.S. Department of Education staff and advocate directly to Federal elected officials
- Leads a growing social media community sharing information about #ImpactAid
- Runs the NAFIS Action Center to help amplify voices in support of Impact Aid
NAFIS membership dues are based on a percentage of the Impact Aid funding your school district receives. The school district is the member, allowing multiple school district representatives to take advantage of NAFIS benefits including our newsletters and conference member rates.
To learn more, contact Lynn Watkins at 202-624-5455 or via e-mail.